Care of Fixed Appliances
1. Some minor discomfort, unusual speech or drooling is expected with a newly placed appliance. If the appliance interferes with normal eating or sleeping, call our office immediately so that the problem can be corrected before it becomes serious.
2. If the appliance becomes loose or distorted call the office immediately.
3. Special care should be taken to eliminate hard and sticky foods from the diet. They may bend the wires or loosen the bands/brackets.
4. You and your child should take extra care in cleaning the teeth now that the appliance has been placed. Food may become trapped under wires and bands and it should be removed as soon as possible.
5. We will need to examine the appliance at least once every six months. In some cases, we will need to examine it more often. We will inform you as to how often we need to see your child with the appliance.
6. Please call us if you have any concerns or questions relating to your child’s treatment.